International Distance Education and Training Congress (IDETC) is a non-profit organization managed by an elected Executive Committee of members who donate their time to conduct the business of the association. We are a voluntary, non-governmental, educational organization that operates a nationally recognized accrediting association. We also are a professional association for teachers, developers, researchers, consultants and administrators involved in open and distance learning and are for professionals working in flexible, open and networked education, committed to fostering growth, development, research and good practice in these areas.
Our Accrediting Commission defines, maintains, and promotes educational excellence in distance education institutions. The Commission is dedicated to fostering quality assurance, protection of the rights of the institutional self-improvement through voluntary accreditation via peer evaluation. Our accreditation aims to instill public confidence in institutions' missions, goals, performances, and resources through rigorous application and peer-developed accreditation standards.Membership is open to any individual or institution with an interest in distance education and/or open learning.IDETC is made up of individual and institutional members from worldwide.
Distance, open learning and flexible delivery systems use educational and telecommunications technology such as printed materials, video or teleconferencing, e-mail, internet and television. They aim to give general public as much control as possible over what, when, where and how they learn.
Our membership comes from all sectors within education- pre-school, primary, secondary, vocational and tertiary. We are committed to lifelong learning.
The aim of this association is to foster high standards in the practice of distance education globally.
This will be achieved by:
- To assure the general public of the quality of educational training provided by IDETC accredited institutions and their programs
- To assist institutions in continuously improving themselves and the training they provide
- Undertaking activities which are seen by the Association to be in the interests of distance education;
- Advising and making representations on any matters relevant to distance education;
- Establishing and maintaining liaison with the international distance education community;
- Promoting discussion about research and development in distance education, disseminating the results of relevant research and identifying areas in which research and development is particularly needed;
- Organizing regular conferences, special interest seminars and workshops on distance education;
- Regularly publishing a newsletter, refereed annual Journal and other publications (such as conference proceedings) from time to time.
IDETC frequently arranges or supports professional development events in many locations and is looking to extend the number of electronic and online professional development events. Some events are restricted to IDETC members.
IDETC recognizes excellence in the field through a series of awards. The awards are presented biennially at the IDETC Conference. The two main categories are:
Excellent Practice in Open, Flexible and Distance Learning, Education and Training;
Excellence in Research in Open, Flexible and Distance Learning, Education and Training.
Details are available from the Awards page.
IDETC has a strong commitment to working with organizations that share similar goals. One way we can do this is to make our members aware of the activities of other bodies:
Websites - this website links to related partner sites of interest to members and visitors to this site.
DM - for a small charge printed materials about conferences, etc can be distributed with our member newsletter.
Collaborative arrangements - IDETC has arrangements in place with sister professional associations to share information and collaborate in particular activities. The administration is the first point of contact for any other associations wishing to enter into collaborative arrangements.